So. We’ve established it was a Go year; however, I didn’t delve into the meals that make my mouth water just to think about them now. Weeks later. Of course, I don’t have photos of those meals, because, I am not comfortable lugging my real camera into restaurants. Besides, I want to really savor the experience without technology tugging at me. That said, I do have to admit that I snagged a couple photos with my phone (see Instagram). But, I know phones can be a distraction at meals, if one isn’t purposeful in putting it away.
Le sigh. And, some other words. I spent all of two nap times writing out the deliciousness that we encountered on this trip, but lost it all when saving the very last time. Thus, completely demoralized, I am going to post this without the food commentary. I have learned my lesson–write using pencils and paper or just a word doc might serve me better. Needless to say, the food was good. Happy memories, for sure. Here is a recap/all I could muster–
Top Five Meals of Summer Vacation 2014
- Eventide, Portland, ME— South Bristol Oysters + beets with creamy lemony sauce, basil, crunchy quinoa, and trout row (my mouth still waters at the thought)
- Le Yaca, Williamsburg, VA— raw salmon marinated in lemon juice and olive oil and served with capers and shallots + Le Soufflé Grand Marnier
- Alforno, Providence, R.I.— beets and frites (oh.my.word.) + deep fried squash blossom stuffed with ricotta and topped with tomato-basil sauce
- Kitchen, Providence, R.I.— croissant french toast + bacon as thick as your hand (yes, you read that right)
- Beth’s Market, Warren, ME— the best strawberry shortcake with homemade whipped cream that you will ever eat in your entire life
Oh, and I cannot neglect to mention the Stilton + full-bodied cabernet sauvignon. When we stopped by the White Barn, I popped into the wine section and saw my favorite cheese. I was not steered wrong with the wine paring–decadently perfect to savor while playing cards.